Saturday, Sat here (all) day

According to author Malcolm Gladwell, it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert in a select field of interest. Going by those figures, I should be an expert stop motion filmmaker roughly by the time I’m finished this project.

Whilst rendering out of Bridge I have decided to get a jump on the sound design part of the project. There are some amazing websites that offer high quality recordings for free and I shall be using them when building up the soundscapes for this animation. I’ll also be recording my own sounds, mainly the tape machine sounds which are quite object-specific and would not be able to locate online.

More importantly, I have loaded all the treated JPGs into the After Effects session.  Now I can begin to edit from within AE and get the timings figured out. I was surprised to see that the session is 41.63GB big! I’ll soon find out if the laptop is up to the job. There will probably be a bit of back and forth between Pro Tools when I begin adding audio as I want the music to sync up to certain sections. This will be fine tuning later on though and for now I will work on getting the rough structure and sfx in place so I can get some user feedback.

By far the most time consuming edit I made today was the second of the ‘above’ shots. As with the first sequence, to get the proper balance of light on both the subject and the surrounding room I shot each frame with two distinctly different exposures. With the first sequence I explained how I imported the brighter set of exposures into After Effects and then a single frame of the darker exposure was placed in a layer above and a mask was used to display the more exposed version of the patient with the darker surroundings.

I did the same procedure here, only as the patient in this sequence is convulsing in the bed each frame was very different to the next. I had to import both full sets of exposures and apply a different mask to each frame as the patient moves slightly from frame to frame. This was quite laborious but in the end I was pleased with the result and the shot won’t look out of place when played alongside the better naturally-exposed shots.

mask placed on the darker exposure to reveal the brighter exposed layer below

due to the movement, a unique mask had to be created for each frame

Result

Advertisements
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: